Cairo-Grady County Story
Cairo, "Georgia 's Hospitality City" the seat of Grady County, in extreme southwest Georgia, is 200 miles due south of Atlanta, Georgia; 50 miles due south of Albany, Georgia; 30 miles due north of Tallahassee, Florida. Latitude: 30 degrees, 54 minutes north; longitude; 84 degrees, 13 miles north of the Florida-Georgia line; almost equidistant (500) miles from Miami and New Orleans.
Grady County lies somewhat above the lower coastal plain to the south and east and the terrain is unusually rolling, with numerous small running streams, while the rich soil, well-drained land and favorable climate provide natural resources for one of the most productive farming Areas anywhere. It is and has been known for years as " the original diversified farming area of the southeast, " with more than 30 crops Grown on a commercial scale. For some years , it has ranked 11th among Georgia's 159 counties as to gross cash farm income. known as " the nation's okra capital, " it has since 1900 been the center of the nation's pure cane syrup industry and has some of the nation's foremost Enterprises manufacturing pickles and other condiments. It ranks among the state's top corn, and livestock producing areas. In such an economy, it is a steadily developing retail trade center, with retail sales volume Annually exceeding $40 million, more than doubled in 10 years. Local financial institutions have assets and deposits that have more than doubled in 10 Years.
Cairo, which had its origin in 1867, was chartered as a town In 1870 and as a city in 1906. It began as a station on the old Atlantic & Gulf Railroad, (now CSX), as did Whigham, the county's thriving second City a few miles to the West. Cairo's growth rate, on average, has been Approximately 50 percent every 10 year since 1910.
Grady County was established January 1, 1906, from portions of Decatur and Thomas counties, and was named in honor of Henry W. Grady, a brilliant editor of the Atlanta (Ga) Constitution, and famed southern orator who widely prophesied " The New South, " toward which His name-sake has been and is a shining light.
Cairo, Whigham and Grady County have gained more than their Share of varied distinctions. Through very close rural-urban cooperation and outstanding leadership the area's agricultural economy food and feed Processing enterprises and agri-business developments. In recent years, The general economy has been stabilized with a balanced industrial development. Educational progress and recreational developments are exceptional, with Year-round leisure-time activity for all ages. The county has more than Fifty active churches and civic agencies.
More recent developments include the fabulous and nationally outstanding Roddenbery Memorial Library as the area cultural center; an 18 hole golf course, built to professional standards, acclaimed by some touring pros as the most challenging anywhere; and Cairo Municipal Airport, which has lighting, hangers and a full-time fixed base operator. Cairo became only the second Georgia city to merit a "Georgia Certified City" status for a second five-year period.
With a strong and ever refreshing civic spirit efficient and economical city and county governments, supported by a planned concept of continued progress, the area offers a firm and convincing bid for new enterprises and new residents and the friendliest of receptions for new Comers and visitors. Inquiries are welcome.
Write or call the Cairo-Grady County Chamber of Commerce (since 1925) 961 North Broad Street, P.O. 387; Cairo, Georgia 31728 Phone (912) 377-3663 or fax (912) 377-3901.